Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gallery Hopping and Bulgarians

We awoke in the morning very refreshed.  It was a beautiful morning and was looking to last throughout the day.  BuddyJack had found a lovely spot in Ross' house and Luther was looking forward to a better day in Ptown.

BuddyJack in fine comfort

Luther Wanting More

Ross went off to work and we put the dogs in the car to take them to the Pilgrim Bark Park.  I am sorry to say that I have no pictures of this wonderful jewel for dogs in Ptown, but just click the link above and you can see what they have done with a vacant lot on the edge of Route 6.

More ball and more play.  It was a never ending repeated story.  It was great to see a few friends at the park as well as the collection of dogs which the park were visited by.  Luther loved being with the other dogs, running around with his ball always in his mouth.  BuddyJack was never to playful with the other dogs and instead ran for that ball until tired and laying down in the shade.

I dropped off Tom at Ross' house and took a drive into town to meet with Roger Chavette, one of the chairpersons for the Carnival Parade happening on Thursday.  I had seen on Provincetown's Community Page that they were in need of Parade Marshals and I had offered my services.

I was meeting him at the Tourism Office which gave me an opportunity to get more information on Route 6 and my desired drive back to CA.  Route 6 is the Longest Transcontinental Road in the US, going from Ptown, MA to Long Beach, CA.  Actually, it is no longer the longest as CA renumbered their routes and it now ended in Bishop, CA.  It was still a route that I wanted to take home.

I got into town about an hour early and walked through town after I got some delicious coffee at Wired Puppy.  There were many people working on decorating their businesses for the upcoming parade.  Beads were for sale in stores, including Essentials, always a treat to stop in.  They are a "friend" of mine on facebook and was pleasantly surprised that she knew of me from years ago.

Wa Decorated for Carnival's "Can't Stop the Music"

I continued my stroll, passing Wa, a wonderful harmonic store for your senses.  They were fully decked out.  I stopped at Ptown Spin to visit my old friend Will.  He has had a store selling dance music for years.  I notice his website is still under partial construction, but if you ever need a certain cd, call him.  He either has it or he will get it for you.  We chatted for awhile until it was time to meet Roger.

I arrived at the tourism office, still a few minutes early, so I looked at the racks of brochures, hoping for some information on Route 6.  Nothing.  I stopped at the information desk, asking the lady there if she may have had any information about Route 6 behind the counter.  Nothing.  Actually she had no idea why I wanted to know and, when told, had no idea that it went to CA.

I would have to work with the information I had collected on the web, especially since AAA would not give me any information on the outdated road, stating that people who travel west take the highways, not the byways.

I helped Roger into the building as he had many boxes filled with paper, t-shirts, hats and bags.  I filled out the proper paperwork and received my Marshal shirt and straw fedora hat.  I was the first to arrive, so I was given first choice of what color feather would be in my hat.  I chose purple.

I talked openly about our plans to leave via Route 6 and Jackie Kelly from the Visitors Service Board chimed in asking if this was true.  Finally someone who knew what I was talking about.  I promised to send her the story about our trip that she had asked for and went out into the glorious day.

I called Tom and we agreed to meet on the East End of Commercial Street.  The East End has many galleries dotted along either side of the one way street.  I had never really gone to many of the galleries, so I thought it would be fun to be tourists and check out the local artists as well as historical pieces.

We picked up the Provincetown Art Guide and started to stroll.  There were so many beautiful pieces as well as some quite odd ones in the galleries.  We stopped in Egeli Gallery and found the following painting.  I snuck a shot of it for my friend, Joan.  She loves a martini.


The Egeli Gallery also has a collection of Mud Heads, paintings found in the walls of the Cape Cod School of Art.  They are amazing pieces and worth checking out.  We continued on the trail, once marked by a green line down Commercial Street (quickly covered by black paint after community outrage).

The galleries are joined by more commercial ventures as one gets closer to town hall.  We were passing Pepe's and stopped in the antique store owned by Astrid, now being run by Ryan Landry, Mothers Little Shop Around the Corner.  The Sock Monkey head is big enough to wear and the items they are selling are just as bizarre and unique.



We passed town hall and were now in the center of town.  People everywhere.  Some new stores and some older.  We passed by a new one and stopped in as it was all about bar supplies.  One never knows when one will find a martini glass which is so special you can't live without.


We walked past The Little Store, a place I used to work at selling cigarettes, lottery and sundries.  They also had a large selection of newspapers and magazines for all people.  I was surprised to see that it was for sale.  It was a great business, and a place I missed working at.


We went back to the car after that and drove back to Ross'.  I was nervous about leaving the dogs at Ross', concerned that they would demolish the house in our absence.  They are not prone to these actions, but still.  Ross was getting off work soon and I wanted to get there before him, just in case...

We arrived and there were no issues.  Dogs were sleeping the afternoon away in our absence.  Ross showed up shortly after.  I ended up taking a nap while Tom walked the dogs on the beach.  Ross also napped for a few hours.

When we awoke, we had decided to go for dinner at, you can guess, Pepe's.  We left the dogs at the house again and headed into town in Ross' car.  He was sure he could find one of his secret spots to park, although this was one of the busiest weeks of the year and the night before Carnival.  No parking anywhere, and just when all hopes were about to be dashed, Doris Day Parking!

Dinner was, of course, stupendous.  The service was perfect and the company enjoyable.  Many of our friends were there.  Dwayne, Deb, Timmy, Barry.  Also our new Bulgarian friends were there.

There are some nights that simply magical and glorious.  I can't stress enough, this was one of them!

We enjoyed our dinner on the patio and snuck a cigarette or two later in the evening.  There was talk of going to Vixen that evening for Bulgarian Night.  It was decided and an hour later we were strolling into Vixen at the Pilgrim House being greeted by Miro, our new friend at Pepe's.  He also worked here for late night.

The place was not busy and a sharp contrast to some of the other clubs in town.  I was a bit disappointed at the crowd but soon changed my mind as the music thumped in my chest.  It was great.  I would recommend Bulgarian Night to anybody going to town.  You just have to know a few Bulgarians.


We were all up late, dancing and playing.  I have attached a few videos to show the night.  The first is one friend shadow dancing on the stage and the other is the group dancing in the lights.  Enjoy.



Tomorrow is the Carnival Parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment