Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Journey Begins and Ends in Provincetown, MA

We woke up in the morning, did our morning coffee and began packing the car.  This was our last day in Ptown and we had to say our goodbyes.  We drove down to Pepe's, where I knew we would find our peeps.  We sadly said our goodbyes with lots of hugs and kisses.  I have always hated this part, as when I returned to Ptown, it was always like coming home.  This past week felt no different.  I was leaving home again, back on the road, heading to my other home over 3,000 miles away.

We made a commitment to Deb to stop at her house to say goodbye, which we did.  More hugs, more kisses.  The dogs were getting anxious in the car with all these stops and starts, but they would soon forget and get their traveling paws back in shape.

We were in Provincetown this past Christmas and I had seen the following sign.  It was then that I knew that we would someday take this road back to CA.  We had already been on all of the Interstates heading East/West.  Route 6 followed my personal desire to avoid tolls and I loved going through small town America.

The Journey Begins and Ends in Provincetown, MA

Route 6 travels through 14 states mostly following along I-80.  It has been chopped up and rebuilt and heralded by the US Route 6 Tourist Association as well as other road enthusiasts.  I found a few other bloggers that wrote about their travels across this fine road.

I was excited to be traveling this road.  Tom, not so much.  He thought that it would take forever and a day, only periodically looking at my research, noting the terrible traffic we would face in NY and fearful of twisters in the midwest.  We had given ourselves 10 days to get to Los Osos.  We figured that it would take that long to go through all those small towns.  We had learned of some people who lived along the way and planned to either stop in or take pictures of their houses.  I was surprised at just how many people I knew who lived near or on Route 6.

We were off.
Leaving home for home.
Two Dudes, Two Dogs, Two Lanes.
Goodbye Ptown!

No comments:

Post a Comment