Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 4 and very long daylight

We awoke the next morning early, which was pretty standard for our trip.  Repacked the car again a little different and headed out.

A few months prior to our departure while doing research of this route, I ran across a few books on Amazon which became our bibles while driving across Canada.  They are:

Canadian Book of the Road, A Complete Motoring Guide to Canada


These books proved invaluable.  They separated the country into small driving routes through the provinces offering information about the history, terrain, flora and fauna.  The items that we were most interested in.  Todays route was to head to Banff and Lake Louise, one of our stops planned.

We drove North up Route 1 towards Hells Gate, BC.  There were some signs for the Hells Gate Airtram in Fraser Canyon.  We arrived in the morning and found it to be a gondola heading down to the gorge.  We decided not to take the time to go down in it, although dogs were allowed on the tram.  It would have been fun to see Growly and Whiney dogs in the tram with 20 other people.



We moved forward on our route, while Tom looked for First Nation Reserves.  We were on the lookout for "Indian Gas."  I learned a while back that a registered indian gets gas without taxes while on reserve land.  Gas is near or over $5 a gallon (I never really figured out the formula for Canadian Dollar/Liter to US Dollar/Gallon) in Canada.  I'll take savings were I can.

I have always gotten the cheaper gas on my own reserve, but never have I tried to get it at others.  I was curious though after getting last nights discount at Telte Yet.  Not too up the road was the first chance.  I am sad to report that I didf not write down the name or location of this petro station, but if you are passing through, look for the res dog.  Every reserve has them.  Dogs with gimpy legs.


Res Dog

I pulled up to the pump.  Went into the store and asked for a fill up.  I showed my card and they did a bit of calculating and , "Bam!"  Discount!  I love Canada.

We continued on towards Revelstoke at the base of Mount Revelstoke National Park.  We passed many rivers and lakes, but still no swimming for the dogs.  There would be time for that soon enough.  We were hungry and the dogs needed to play, so we stopped at a local park and tossed some balls with the dogs.  We headed back into town, stopped at the information store and picked up some information on Banff and Lake Louise, tomorrows destination.

Right behind the store was the Regent Hotel.  They had a nice outdoor dining area and we ordered some lunch/dinner.  I am pretty standard when it comes to eating out.  I like to try Fish and Chips or Chicken Fried Steak.  I actually have a running contest in my mind for the best in the world, but that's another entry.  I ordered the fish and chips.  Tom ordered a burger with Alberta Beef.  My fish was tasty.  Tom found a new love.  Mmmm.  Alberta Beef!

We walked around town a bit.  It seems that the downtown area is used often for outdoor concerts and people watching.  It was busy.  They also had many statues of Grizzly Bears around town.


We got back in the car and proceeded over the mountains through Glacier National Park and Rogers Pass.  We wanted to get to Golden, BC before nightfall to set up camp and get an early start to Banff.  It was early evening and we had a few hours of driving left, but the sun never seemed to set.  It was then that I realized that the sun is setting a lot later than normal due to being so much higher in longitude.  It was great.  Driving at 9 PM and feeling that you could drive much later if you wanted to.

We arrived in Golden and was planning to stay at the Municipal Campground.  Sold Out!  We were referred to another which was located right off the highway.  The Whispering Spruce Campground had no whispers.  Only the sounds of cars and trucks running up the highway.  Once again, I slept no problem.  Tom, on the other hand, not so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment