Wednesday, September 7, 2011

PowWow!

We awoke and I got some coffee and bagels at the big tent.  PowWow grounds were busy.  Some vendors had started to set up.  Already, plenty of people had come down towards the river to celebrate.  Back to the campsite, which had so many people more and more coming in.

The dogs, tethered to the fence post were anxious to start their day.  Excited that I was back, they jumped up and down in a playful way.  They must have called their friends from the day before, because they came running into the scene.  The dogs were elated and they all just jumped around.

A few moments later, the same police officer from the day before came driving up fast.  "Who's dogs are these?!"  I sheepishly told him how the other dogs just came around.  He shoosed them away and looked at our dogs and said, "They're OK."  Pretty cool.  We never saw those two dogs again.  Pretty sad.

Naresh came by with Little Naresh.  We left for PowWow with them after a few minutes.  We put the dogs in the car, something they were used to.  They, I'm sure, were thinking that they were going for a car ride.  They had no idea that it would be a short bit.

We checked out the vendors and saw a ribbon shirt that I liked.  It was expensive, though.  Tom decided to take some pictures of a ribbon shirt thinking we could make one ourselves.  I've made a bird shirt and an indian costume.  Why not a ribbon shirt.


Ribbon shirt

The Elders get their own area at PowWow with plastic chairs under a tent.  My family had took up residence on the far up right area.  Naresh had dropped off Deuce by the entrance and she was just hanging by one of the vendors.  I walked over and interpretatively asked her if she wanted to join us.

We walked together slowly as she used her walker and I assisted over the rutty grass.  She set up camp and told me she had something for someone.  She gave me a bag and pointed to Tom.  She got Tom a present!  It was one of the sweetest things I've ever seen.  Tom opened the package and found a red t-shirt with the word Canada and a small maple leaf.  It was so cool!


We had to get back to the dogs.  They had to get their time in with some swimming.  A few miles up a gravel road on the side of the reserve was what we called the woods.  It has a great swimming lake as well as a small running river with a rocky beach that we could drive to.

It was still early and the mosquitoes were out in force at teh lake.  I put on smoe spray, got the dogs out and proceeded to throw the ball down the length of the beach.  One more for Luther.  They both retrieved them and then a toss into the lake.  They both ran in and proceeded to swim to their respective balls.  Swim back and drop the ball and repeat.



Luther has always been a water dog.  He's been swimming in both oceans with waves crashing into him a few times.  BuddyJack, not so much.  I have always had to toss the ball close to the shore.  His time in Lake Superior taught him a few things.

They swam for about 20 minutes and it was time to head up the road to the river.  We passed over the bridge and I went to look for my cousin, Betty's cabin.  We had stayed up there the last time we were here and I wanted to check to see whether I still remembered where it was located.

The woods were filled with cabins.  Different families had different homes.  The woods were originally the winter home of the Mi'qmag.  They would hunt while the salmon were swimming in the frozen Restigouche.  I visited my Grandfather, Pa, in our families cabin about 10 years prior.  It was amazing.  It was made of huge logs, had two floors and an open ceiling and fireplace under some huge stuffed animal heads.  I tried to get back there a few years earlier and found a small family living there.  I hoped that they were "family" and I turned around choosing not to disturb them.

We found Betty's cabin and let the dogs out to sniff around.  We kept them on the leashes so not to chase after any critters.  A little lookeyloo around and we were back in the car headed down to the river.  We parked by the river and proceeded to toss that ball into the river.   BuddyJack was a bit put off by the shard drop off where I tossed the ball, but soon enough they were in and out.  A few times he swam to the other side and was easily coaxed back over.


The dogs were pretty spent and we wanted to get back to our camp before they closed the road except to Elders and mobility impaired.  We arrived at PowWow grounds and was overwhelmed by the amount of people and campers there were.  It was so crowded taht it was questionable wether we could get the car back to out tent.

We saw an opening and found our tent.  Our neighbors left a bagel and a piece for toast for the dogs, which they ate up quick.  They were still pretty wet so into the car they go so we can get to the start of PowWow.  At the start of PowWow, they ask that no pictures or videos are taken.  The dancers were introduced one by one as they enter into the circle in heir regalia, each having their purpose or style of dance.







We watched the dancers and walked around the grounds.  I was hungry and wanted either some fry bread or poutin.  I also wanted some strawberry shortcake that would come out later.  I took some random shots of the day.


Man's Walkling Stick Head


Different Policemen watching over things


Dancer's Regalia


Spectators of the Day

Our greater family does not get to see each other often and Tom thought it would be a great idea to figure out our family tree.  I asked the kids to try and work on it, but it was a project they did not want to take on.  I had picked up a tiny notebook the day before at the health fair and pulled it out of my pocket. Grabbed my pen and started asking questions.

My father's side of the family is fairly simple.  They had small families.  My Great Grandmother had 14 kids.  Maybe more or maybe less.  I had three of them with me and we couldn't even get all there names. It was hilarious.


Family of Elders

We went back to the camp a few times, sneaking on the dogs, making sure that they were not getting too warm.  All was good.  Betty had offered us her cabin for the night, which we gratefully accepted.  There was some weather coming and it would be better in a cabin than in the tent.


Tom and his Canada Shirt


My Great Grandmother & Great Grandfather's Graves

Towards the end of the day, my family talked about getting a bite to eat somewhere besides PowWow.  There is a traditional meal that they prepare including salmon and fiddleheads.  In years past, when we had gone, our plates were pretty small after feeding the elders and then the dancers and then the drummers.  We decided to meet at the mall were there was a brasserie.

My Aunt joined us there and we had a nice meal.  We chatted about the day, my Mother's recent retirement and my Father's health issues, which have been getting worse.  Fortunately, we finished dinner before sunset and we were able to get to Betty's cabin while it was still light.


The cabin has no power or water.  Peeing happens outside.  Poop does too, but only after digging a hole and doing proper camping etiquette.  We lit the gas lamps and set out our linens on two small couchy beds.  The dogs would have liked to explore more, but I was spent.  I was out, fast asleep within a matter of minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment