Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fairhaven and a Week of Rest?

We arrived into Fairhaven around nine PM.  There was lots of traffic on I-95 and then construction on I-93 heading towards Boston.  It was a Sunday, and thus pretty typical for the time of day.

I hate tolls.  I would rather drive 20 miles per hour on some stupid road than pay a quarter.  I appreciate that it is a revenue gathering option for the state or other governing body, but I can still hate them.  Driving through Maine and then New Hampshire, I have to go through a number of tolls.  Grumble, grumble.

We arrived at Sconticut Neck Road, left the dogs in the car, and knocked at the door of our friends Kate & John and their child Massimo.  They also have two dogs, Humphrey and Calder and one cat, Mr. Banks.  Kate was missing, but John was up working on his computer and having a glass of wine.  "David?!"  Didn't Kate tell him we were coming?  

We explained that we were going to be there for a bit, two weeks, to be exact.  John made us a cocktail and we sat around and chatted about our trip and what was going on his life.  Lots of talk, and then time to get the dogs out of the car.

We stay at this home often.  A few years back, Kate & John converted their garage into a photography studio.  It is called the Fairydoo.  We stay in there on a futon with a portable toilet and a couch for the dogs.  Luther & BuddyJack know the house well as well as it's occupants.  They also know the Fairydoo well.  They would always prefer to stay in the house, but with the other animals, it is not always a good idea.

The dogs ran to the front door.  No!  This Way!  Into the Fairydoo and unload some of the car.  It is great to land somewhere for more than 10 hours.  We unloaded a lot.  Two weeks of Two Dudes and Two Dogs had the car smelling too ripe.  Dirty laundry, some dishes that may or may not have been washed well, blankets and towels, etc.  Time to download.

We ordered some pizza from YiaYia's, located across the street from Kate & John's.  They always have a fresh, home made product and that night was more of the same goodness I've had before.  A few slices and a few pizza bones for the dogs and it was bed time.

We had decided to lay low for a few days and rest up from our constant moving.  The following days would be a great opportunity to have some fun with Massimo, now 5 years old.  It also gave us a chance to start planning our weeks ahead and eventually, our trip home.

We got up early the next day, but not early enough.  Massimo was up and hanging with John.  Max was very excited to see us and showed it by giving a hug and a kiss.  There was a large box on the dining room table and Max was very excited that it was for him.  It seems that Max has taken a liking to taxidermy animals.  He quickly showed us a stuffed white ermine.  It was quite beautiful.  He had spent all his savings on his new acquisition, a coyote with a pheasant hanging from it's mouth.  He had not seen it yet, as he was waiting for his mother to come home.

The week of rest did not seem like it was going to happen.  It had been a while since a 5 year old ran our lives, but it was about to start.  Tom took most of the responsibility and was quickly reading, playing card games and drawing with Massimo.  He did this until Kate came home and then it was the time for the unveiling of the latest stuffed animal.

The big box was wrapped tight.  I split the tape and opened the box with Max to find that it was reinforced inside with wooden slats and screws.  Massimo pulled some of the extra paper filler out of the box and waited for the screws to be taken out.  A few minutes later, we were all looking at this dead animal looking eerily alive, especially with the broken necked pheasant.  Max proceeded to tell us what was real on the animal and what was fake, such as the eyes and teeth.  Massimo and I placed the animal in his bedroom so the cat would not go after it and ruin the prized possession.

We continued to hang with the family, taking breaks along the way to play with the dogs and take naps.  We did this until Wednesday, which I wanted to take a trip and head to Lawrence to visit my folks.  I belong to a number of facebook sights about the city of Lawrence and have become nostalgiac about a few of the areas of my childhood.

I first searched Google for a freshwater lake near Fairhaven so the dogs could get some exercise and go swimming.  I found one in Freetown called Long Pond.  We stopped at the town swimming beach, but there were a few families at the shore and nobody wants a dog running through their blankets and such.  I continued to follow the pond around, passing a Christian camp and then found what I was looking for. A boat ramp.

We played at that boat ramp for quite a while.  Throwing the ball far into the pond and then waiting a few minutes for us to repeat.  The water was warm as I took off my sandals and waded in a bit.  The dogs had a great time and then it was time to head to Lawrence

Tripoli's pizza was standard fare at Salisbury Beach while growing up.  Their main bakery location was in Lawrence and I wanted to have Tom taste a slice of my childhood.  We arrived at Tripoli's and I decided to do a taste test between Tripoli's and Napoli Pizza across the street.


Tom was not impressed with either, but offered a critique of liking the crust of Napoli and the sauce of Tripoli.  I ate both and enjoyed them both.  I must admit that the crust of Napoli's was crisper and more satisfying than Tripoli.

We headed to my folk's house after our taste test.  We hung out for a while at the house.  Summer vacation was still happening for the kids so they were coming in and out.  The pool was open and it was hot so a few were in there.  My parent's house is always a bevy of activity due to my sister, Karen, living behind my parents.  My other sister, Kimberly, has a second hand store, Somewhere In Time, located under the Chamber of Commerce that my mother recently retired from.  She and her husband, Shaun, have three kids and also are taking care of their grandchild.  Needless to say, there is always someone over at "Grammy & Oompa's."

My father wasn't feeling well that afternoon, so we hung out with my mother and Karen.  Little Naresh came in with their dogs, a couple of pugs, who did not necessarily like BuddyJack.  Add my parent's dog, Scruffy, and all hell was breaking loose in the house.  First I'd put them outside, then in and the others out.  The pugs eventually went home, thank goodness.

We ended going out to eat that night with my family.  They chose Olive Garden.  I have never eaten at an Olive Garden.  I was afraid that it would be just another chain restaurant without the love in the food.  I was partially correct.  I did love the endless salad and breadsticks, but the food tasted salty to me.

My father had been diagnosed with diabetes a few years back and along with some other health issues has forced him to look at his diet.  I had been doing my own research at home and saw just how much sodium there is in prepared and restaurant foods.  He had trouble getting something that would work for him at the restaurant, but eventually ordered something that worked in his diet.  Emma, my niece, has siliac disease, so there were special restrictions for her too.

It was a nice dinner with the family, but it was time to head back to Fairhaven.  Kate texted me and let me know that she was going to Rose Alley in New Bedford with her new girlfriend, Sara.  I failed to mention that Kate has begun dating a woman.  It kinda blew me away when I was told and this would give us an opportunity to get to know her.

We got to Rose Alley about 9 PM and I was very pleased that they had a beer from Firestone Brewery on tap.  Firestone is from San Luis Obispo County and one of my favorite beers.  They have a great tagline, "It's what we drink around here."  I had missed this beer since I had my last one at Telte Yet Campground in Hope, BC.  They had a double IPA which was delicious.

We chatted with Kate and Sara for awhile.  At first it was very odd as Kate was spending all her time with Sara and leaving no openings for anyone to join in.  Eventually, chairs were moved and a foursome conversation started to occur.  It seems that Kate & Sara had been seeing each other since the start of summer and that Kate's marriage would need some adjustments in the near future.

A few times I went outside to have a cigarette and took a few shots of the area.  New Bedford is an old fishing port.  It still has cobblestone streets in it's downtown area as well as many old stone buildings.  Kate's business, Crowells Fine Art & Framing is located there.  They also have a whaling museum as well as a National Park.

John has a crane company and hauls cages out of boats filled with quahogs.  They get processed in an amazing trip down and up conveyor belts.  They supply the most clams to the nation from this very plant.  John and I once mused about doing clam shell driveways, a coastal new england tradition, with the waste.


Cobblestone Street


Cork, in a stone building

We tried to sleep in the following day, but between the dogs, Massimo and the heat, we were up early.  It was Thursday and the evening had plans of Aha! in downtown New Bedford.  Kate was busy with the gallery and Aha! and John had a few boats coming in, so Tom babysat Max while I caught up on my blogs and news.  A nap was also in order, so I took it.

We had heard such amazing things about Aha! that maybe my expectations were a bit too high.  The first thing we wanted to do was eat and then do a walk about through the galleries of downtown.  We stopped in the gallery and saw Kate.  I had my brochure and it's recommended restaurants.  We were running low on funds, so I wanted to keep it cheap.  I mentioned to Kate the few restaurants I had in mind.  They were the Catwalk, the Pour Farm and the Waterfront Grille.

I thought we'd save the Waterfront for another night and Kate told us to go to the Pour Farm.  We walked over and it was pretty much a bar with food.  We sat at a table, but the music that was being played was pounding through my head, so we decided to leave.  I instead chose the Catwalk.  The worst food ever.  The worst service.  Should have stayed with the loud music.

After dinner we strolled the streets going into different galleries and shops.   The city blocks off a few streets and sets up mini stages or children's activity areas.  It also gave another chance of taking some shots around town.  I really like New Bedford and, if moving was in my future, I would certainly seriously think about New Bedford.


Solo Musician on Portable Stage


A Monument for the Whale Fishermen


Local Church


Old Fishermen's House

We ended the Aha! evening at Freestones City Grill.  It is located a few doors down from Crowell's and is a favorite haunt for many downtown NB people.  We have been going there for lunches or dinners ever since Kate took over the gallery.  The food is great and the service is impeccable.  We have been fortunate to meet David, the bartender at Freestones,  His beverages match the food and he has a great disposition.  He actually has made it onto the TravelingDog Calender for this year.


David and I at Freestones

We left Freestones, with dogs in the back seat and headed back towards Fairhaven.  We took one last detour to Le Place, a local watering hole in New Bedford.  We had been there the last time we were in town, recognizing the bartender who started working there the day we last were at Le Place.  It is located right  on the edge of New Bedford and I took the next shot of a "Welcome to New Bedford" from the back.


We headed home and went to bed fairly quickly.  This week of rest was turning into anything but.  We still had plans to visit my family again this weekend and then to head to Provincetown for Carnival.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment