Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Last Night in New Bedford at the Madeira Cafe

We spent most of the day with my family in Lawrence.  It was Saturday, so most of the family was there.  My father was looking better, although he was having a difficult time with his new diet.  I give him credit for trying.  It is pretty standard for a low sodium diet to be 1500 milligrams.  The doctor wanted 1/2 that.  He was trying, and I wish him well.

I was a bit distracted all day, as I was sad to be leaving, knowing I would not seem them for a few months or longer (depending on Christmas plans).  I was also jumping ahead in my head about tomorrows journey back across the country.  I was ready, but anxious.  We left Lawrence after taking a family picture.  My parents often do this when we are all together.

We headed back down to Fairhaven, got together our stuff and planned to meet Kate and Sarah at the Madeira Cafe in New Bedford.  I plugged in the address on Maps and found it to be very out of the way.  Kate had wanted us to go there earlier in our stay, but the timing never worked out.  We followed the directions, which brought us through some of the less desirable parts of New Bedford.  Tom had never really seen the bowels of New Bedford.  He has always thought that if he moved back to the East Coast, he would think about living there.  I wonder what he was thinking now?

We arrived at the address, finding a neon Miller Light sign with Madeira Cafe surrounding it and backlit awnings told me it was a bar.  Kate did mention martinis, but what about dinner?  I pulled around to the back to a small parking lot.  I kinda wished we had brought the dogs to guard the car.


We went inside and found it to be inviting.  We grabbed a few stools at the bar and ordered a beverage.  We were the first to arrive, so we waited for Kate and Sarah, reading the menus and checking out the restaurant.  It was Portuguese.  The menu had traditional portuguese meals and appetizers including the oh so famous Kale Soup.

Kate and Sarah showed up at about the same time that a band started playing.  It seemed that the late night crowd turned to music after their dinner.  For those eating late, both at the same time.  We decided to stay at the bar as the music would have been harsh on the dinner conversation.

We all enjoyed a fabulous dinner.  After meeting the owner Caroline, we found out that the fish was all locally caught.  Meals are prepared fresh daily, often by Caroline herself.  She was a wonderful hostess and everything a restaurant owner should be (in my mind).  After a glass of Medeira Wine, compliments of the house, Caroline gave me a gift basket for our journey as well as some portuguese bread that looked like a huge english muffin.  A great evening all around.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.  Stop by if you are in the area.  It is located at 76 Church Street, New Bedford.  If you go, tell Caroline the boys from CA sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment