Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Domestic Partner Registry

So, it is complete.  At least our part.  Today we mailed in our Domestic Partner Registry.  As I mentioned in our previous post, Tom quit his job.  It was a perfect opportunity to register as Domestic Partners.  It is also fitting that after ten years of being together we make it legal.

I must say that I was disappointed in what we had to do and not do in order to do it.  I went to our local county's web site to find out what fees were needed to be paid and to get the proper forms.  To my surprise, there is no form and no fees.  In fact we did not have to go to City Hall at all.  Instead all we had to do was fill out a form from the Secretary of State and mail it in.  Not exactly the pomp I was looking for.  The fee was $10.  Also an additional fee of $23 for same sex couples.  Equal?  I think not.  Why can't we go to City Hall and wait in line to be committed?

One of my favorite Pix from Donovan

We had to get the form notarized, so I called a friend of mine, Rachel who verified our identities and stamped the form after giving her our fingerprints.  Off to the Post Office to mail our form and it was done.

Rachel filling out her part

Tom looking for ID

Time to verify

Money Order to the Secretary of State

Declaration of Domestic Partnership

No fanfare at the USPS

Double the Help

It's in the mail
So now we wait.  We decided on not changing names, which was an option.  We thought about changing it to TravelingDog, but I like my name.  It was a great way of spending my birthday.  Off to crochet and then a pork meal with homemade applesauce, compliments of my Domestic Partner, Tom!


No comments:

Post a Comment