Tuesday, September 3, 2013

32 Churches in 1 Day

Sunrise at Camping Chez Denise
As I mentioned in my last post, there was something coming about the silver plated steeples of Quebec. Tom continued taking those shots of churches, slyly at first.  After the ones yesterday and the few more the morning after, I was like, "If you are gonna take shots of churches, take shots of churches!"  I didn't know what can of worms I opened, not just for today but for the rest of the trip.
"Click Click" turned into a constant click, click, click, click...

We ended up taking over 300 pictures that day.  The pattern continued for the rest of the trip.  We came back with over 3,500 photos.  That number was after I had Tom edit some of his work.

The title of this post is 32 churches in 1 day.  I show here 28.  I kept a few off due to overexposure and the sun just being in the wrong space at the wrong time.  After so many, I just had to stop driving around silver steeples.




We were fortunate to find a nice stop along the St. Lawrence to give the dog some play time.


And then, back on the road.  More churches!



One stop along the way was so totally unexpected.  Enough to make me turn around and check it out.  I don't generally do that.  There's always something more around the corner, but this so unique and out of the ordinary, I just had to stop the car and check it out.

There on my side of the road was an outhouse shaped structure on a riser with stairs leading up to an open door and window looking over a multitude of triangular shaped boxes in a field of wildflowers.




I climbed up the stairs and tried to figure out what the artist was trying to say.



I saw no specific design of the placement of triangles.  Why triangles?  Why a clover cut out on the "outhouse" and what was up with the little people inside of the boxes?    



I'd like some help from my readers...The one's who can translate French.
Can someone translate this?

The area that this was located also had the most unique bridge...



and beautiful homes.


If you click on a picture, they open up into a glib design with better size.  Really.  If anyone can tell me what this installation is all about, I'd appreciate it.

And now, back to the churches.  Mind you at this point, we were having fun.  A new church in every community we drove through.  "I see a steeple!"  "There's one!"  "Where is it?"  "I see it!"

Trying to find the best shot.  Driving through small towns with populations of 100.  It was an amazing drive.

























They may all look similar, and they did.  Editing was tough because we couldn't, at times, where one shoot ended and another started.  When we got to the one above, I had had enough.  It was time to start planning for the end of the day, which was planned to be Rimouski.

Add to this day a stop at the legislative building of Quebec a few hours earlier and I was spent.




Luther in Quebec










Fortunately I saw a great roadside stand selling poutine and hot dogs.  Add to that a Coca Cola, not Pepsi that Canada loves so much and it was a score!



We landed in Rimouski and found a spot to set up camp.  Hard to tell from the picture below but our tent JUST fit into the campsite.  They had nothing larger so we just made it work.


Speaking of making it work, we had one issue.  The night before, we found the nozzle had broken off the blow up mattress.  Not the whole nozzle, but the locking piece.  Fortunately, as a stage technician, I had some gaffer's tape with me.  Forget duct tape.  Gaffer's is where it's at!

It worked the night before, why not again.  We wrapped that connector nice and tight.  A little test by sitting on the mattress.  Then another by lying down.  All good.  Time for a beer!

We headed down to the center of town to try and find a brewery which was closed the last time we drove through.  Right turn here.  Nope.  Left?  Nope.  Straight then left.  Score!

Le Bien le Malt was open.  Two IPAs and a french plate of cheese, salami and olives was exactly what we wanted.  Add to that some wifi and no more churches and it was heaven.


Back to the campsite and what did we find?  One flat mattress.  Too dark to fix, we slept on the ground that night.  Not the best night for sleeping, but we were so close to Pow Wow, it did not matter.  Tomorrow, another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment