Sunday, November 4, 2012

On the way home

As the months fly by, the memories start to fade.  All that is left are the pictures and musings on our calendar.  On our way home, even those musings tended to die off with nothing noted in the squares on the month of August.

We did head out of Juneau, trying a different route back towards the Yukon.  I still had to pick up my new indian card.  I also needed to get a picture of BuddyJack & Luther at the Yukon Administration Building.

We drove a long way that day, passing more glaciers along the way.  Tom and I were both getting tired of them, which, I know, is pretty sad.  But how many glaciers can one see in a matter of a week?

I just had one more border to cross into Canada, or so I thought.  More on that unexpected detour in my next post.  My fears had ebbed and we crossed the border, again, with no issue.  Up to Whitehorse and back to the hippie campground we decided not to stay at the last time we were here.  It was a Sunday and there were a few sites left, so we paid our fee and set up camp, again.

I understand that I have used the word "again" over and over, but that was how it was feeling.  We set that huge tent up every day on the road less the two nights we spent in Juneau and Anchorage.  It was done with ease at this point, but yet it was also so tiring.

After setting the tent, we headed into town.  Back in Canada and no wifi, we drove over to McDonald's to steal some wifi and also to pick up some ice and nibbles at the store next to it.  It was Sunday, and the "city" was moderately quiet.  It was a great opportunity to check out the capital building.

We knew exactly where to go, as we passed by it the last time we were there.  A short drive and we parked across the street from the unimpressive building.  It may have been the grey skies or the ending of our journey, and I am sure it has it's pluses, but the building was blah.

We got out of the car and took the leashed dogs across the street for their photo op.  Click Click!  Click Click!  Back to camp for a shower, fire and dinner.  Then sleep so we could get up early, pack and get my darn indian card.







We did wake early and packed the car.  It was still cloudy and grey out, but we had a mission to accomplish.  Off to the government building which housed the indian affairs office.  The last time I was here it was 10 minutes before closing time on a Friday.  This time 10 minutes past opening on a Monday.

The clerk behind the glass was the same person that cut my last card in half.  She knew who I was and was sincerely happy that all worked out for us.  We had a quick chuckle and after receiving my new card, I was off.  And then, we were off.  Headed South towards British Columbia and eventually home in a few days.

We drove a few hours before deciding to stop at a lake and campsite along the road.  The skies had cleared except for some big puffy clouds and it was warm.  I wish I noted the lake because it was just so beautiful and clear.  We  drove around the campsites, planning on stopping at one to have some lunch.  The ones located along the water were all occupied, so we headed towards the dock and parked.

Tom prepared some classic PB&J while I tossed the balls into the lake for the dogs to fetch.  As usual, they loved it.  The water looked so inviting.  So inviting that I switched into my swim trunks and jumped in.  Not only was it clear, it was also very deep.  Just off the dock, my feet didm't hit the sand below.







We had our sandwiches, the dogs some scraps and we were off again.  Driving down Route 37 through BC was beautiful all the way.  We talked about the provinces and our recent journeys and agreed that each province and area had it's own personality, it's own feel.  BC is the best!

We stopped fairly early that night.  We found a great campsite along the way, located next to a lake with a very friendly campground host who chatted us up and brought us some wood.  She asked us if we were planning on checking out the Glacier Highway towards Stewart.  We had not planned on it, but after her strong recommendation, we decided to check it out the next day.

And again, tent, fire, food, bed.  We did play a few games of cribbage as the dogs slept.  And as night approached at a reasonable time, we too went sleep.  Just a few more days to home.









No comments:

Post a Comment