Wednesday, October 24, 2012

BuddyJack Day

Three years ago, while Tom and I were having a drink at the Merrimaker in Los Osos, a dog wandered in.  He was very sweet and happy, although very dirty and disheveled.  Towards the end of the night, Lindsey suggested we take him home and before I could put my two cents in, Tom brought him outside and put him in the car with Luther.

We brought the dog home and introduced him to our house and backyard.  He was a bit whiney but we figured that he was just a bit nervous and overwhelmed.  The following day I posted this ad down by the Merrimaker on the community board:

Lost Dog

Cute young male dog found in Baywood last night. He's a little whiney, maybe just scared. Great temperament and good with other dogs. If anyone hears of it's owners, call Buddy! 


I used the fake name Buddy, so I would know if someone was referring to the poster when they called.  We had him for a few days, Tom making sure I did not name him so I wouldn't get attached.  As most people know, I don't always listen well, so I started to call him Buddy.  Buddy continued to be whiney.  Some would say talkative.  We continued to find it whiney.  

This all happened the week of my birthday.  It was as if, after a couple days of no phone calls, that this ragamuffin of a dog was my present.  But then the phone rang and a man asked for Buddy.

My heart sank but asked the man to come over to claim his dog.  A few hours later a man knocked on  the door.  Buddy was happy to see the man, again being very talkative.

We spoke for a short bit and I heard the stories of how he escaped often and that the owners had been fined a number of times for letting their dog loose and getting picked up by animal services.  The owner had hoped that they would be able to find a ranch for him so he could run around freely.

I meekly replied that he could stay with us.

The owner said "Sure!"

My birthday present, Buddy, was here to stay!

The final question I asked the former owner as he was leaving was, "What's his name?"

"Jack."

Now, Buddy and Jack were two totally different names.  I owe his full  name to Samantha Wayne.  I was talking to her about the two names and what to call him and she suggested combining the two:  BuddyJack.  No space, one word, BuddyJack!



BuddyJack became a TravelingDog fairly quickly.  He took his first road trip to MA form CA during our Christmas break.  He whined a lot .  Almost too much for our liking, but finally settled into the routine on the return trip.


Today, he still whines but travels much better.
He has traveled through Canada, Alaska and many states between CA & MA.
He is a faithful companion to me, Tom and Luther and also my best birthday present ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment