Friday, September 7, 2012

Swimming to Sign Posts with Carol Channing

It was beginning to be hard to tell day from night, being this far north and this high in the mountains.  If it wasn't for the clock in the car and the phone, we would think it was morning, even though we were waking up at 5 or 6.

We were becoming pros at striking camp, getting it down to less than 15 minutes.  The dogs were getting into a pattern of being tied to their tethers, watching the seamless tear down.  Bed, linens and sleeping bags folded after the air was let out of the mattress.  Rain cover off & folded.  Chairs packed first, tent poles folded and loaded next, linens in the car to give Luther & BuddyJack the most cushiest spot in the car, tent folded and pushed to get the air out and then locking up the tube on top of the car.  A few more odds and ends in the back of the car and we were off.

Today, though, first a swim for the dogs.

We were sure to pack up all possible balls we had, even retrieving a few from the lip of the PAC prior to leaving after a student had tossed a football up there that I had to retrieve.  I drove over to the boat launch area of the lake and let the dogs out, who went running straight to the water.

Luther has always been a water dog.  BuddyJack learned to like the water, but since learning, gave Luther a run for his money (or ball).


I wasn't sure how cold the water was, but if they can stand the Pacific in January, they could stand some fresh mountain water.  I generally start slowly, with a short lob.  Then further.  Then further even more.


I generally also have to start tossing to one and then the to the next.  Luther is a bit territorial about "his" ball.  BJ, not so much.  If they get mixed up, inevitably a ball gets left in the lake and I have to try to land the second ball close to the first ball so one of them will get the other or one will get them both.


We played ball for quite some time, knowing that the fresh water would clean their coats from the road dust and also tire them out for a nice long nap.  It also helped to exercise them without the fear of them running after a wild animal or a wild animal running after them if we played in an unsecured area.


The clouds were hanging around on this morning, but they did not look like rain, thank goodness!  A few more long lobs and then it was time to head out.



We were at the highest point on the Alaskan Highway, headed towards Whitehorse, the capital of the Yukon Territory.  The title of this post may be misleading.  We did not pick up Carol Channing along the side of the road hitchhiking.  What we did do was bring along a CD of Carol narrating her book, "Just Lucky I Guess."

I received it from her a few years back when she performed at the PAC.  I had always been a fan, especially after seeing her perform in "Hello Dolly" for the umpteenth revival on Broadway.  It was a pleasure to work with her on that night at the PAC.  My smile was as large as her eyeglasses all night long and I was almost gushing by the nights end as we hugged goodbye.

Anyhoo, I had planned on listening to her gift on my next road trip, but forgot to pack it.  Oops.  I made sure I brought it on this one as there would be little radio reception and I tend to get over our music library after 3,000 miles.  I figured the Alaskan Highway would be a great spot to bring her along.

Her tangents were hard to follow at first, but after a while, after she told us that it was her book and she could anything she wanted, it became quaint and humorous.  "Speaking of China..."

The dogs were fast asleep in the back when we approached a herd of Bison.  I had read about the possibility, but when we saw them, it was spectacular.  Papas and mamas and babies.  Lots of them along the road, in the road, blocking the road.  We slowed down to a stop, which always wakes the dogs.  Rolling down the windows, the dogs just sniffed and stared.  No barks, no whine, just a stare.







The bison paid us no heed.  We watched them as they trod by, looking healthy, strong and well groomed.  I was glad for the latter, but I guess animals in their natural habitats tend to live well.

More Carol and more miles.  More gravel patches on the road, at times seeing no one else on the road, feeling we were on this trek by ourselves.  Following rivers and driving through the mountains was fantastic.  We saw our first bear loping across the road a bit further down the road.  It was a black bear, seeing his snout as we drove by.  We tried to take a picture, but he ran through the brush too quickly.  I won't share teh picture we got of him jumping over the log because it is more like "Where's Waldo" than "Oh, the bear!"

Further down the road, though, there they were.  Two Grizzly cubs.  Munching on clover on the side of the road.  We stopped the car.  I was driving, but wanted a picture.  I know, I know.  Cubs?  Where is mama?  I left the car running and got out.  I nervously approached the back of the car and took a picture.  They didn't even notice me.  Got a bit closer.  Still nothing.  Click, click, click.



The grizzly bears, known by their hump on their back, where also quite beautiful to see.  I would not recommend taking pictures.  I am not sure if you had read about the mauling in Denali, but click clicks and grizzlies do not mix.

We were on a high at this point.  Bison, Bears and coming up...Watson Lake and the Signpost Forest.

I had read about the Signpost Forest in every web site, travel book and brochure about the drive to Alaska.  Started in 1942 by a homesick G.I. by posting a sign of his hometown and the mileage it took to get there, it now boasts over 70,000 signs.

I tried to get one from Los Osos, but they had none.  I tried for San Luis Obispo but it did not happen.  I should have made one, as I noticed when we got there that is what many people do.

Roadside attractions are few and far between.  We were in the Yukon!  I may be on overkill with the pictures, but there were just so many signs.  Aisles and aisles.  Forgive the excess, but hey, this is my blog.  Carol would be proud!
















Tom took the dogs for a walk and I headed over to the fitness center for some free wi-fi.  I had to do some banking and check on emails.  Nothing urgent happening so after a PB&J and a fill up we were on our way.  Next stop, Whitehorse.

I figures out the mileage and the time and figured we would get there by 4:30.  The government offices to get my new indian card closed at 5.  It was going to be close.  More miles and even more Carol.

We did arrive to Whitehorse on time.  I found the building I needed to get to, passing the Legislative Building along the way.  The clouds were hanging with us and it started to look like rain again.  All will work out.  It has to.  

I parked the car out front.  I had no change for the meter, so I had Tom wait for me outside.  I find the office.  I go in.  One woman behind a desk at 4:30 PM on a Friday.  "I'd like to renew my indian card."  "Do you have your old one?"  "Yes.  Here it is."  

SNIP!  She cuts it in half.

Uh, ok.  She gets a camera out.  I let her know that I already have a picture.  She hands me the form to fill out, takes my picture from me and then says, "That will be ready on Monday after 10 AM."

My body literally trembles.  I have no passport.  I have to go through many more border crossings.  The states hate these cards anyway.  Homeland Security hates these cards.  I explain how I am heading to Alaska.  She genuinely feels sorry, but I am still shaking.

She comes up with a plan after a few back and forths.  She will just laminate the two pieces back together.  What she comes back with wouldn't pass if I owned a country.

"Thank you.  I'll call you on Monday and let you know if I am picking up the new card or having you mail it to my home."

I stop at the security desk at the front of the building and ask them what I should do if I lost my ID in a foreign country.  Basically, your screwed!  They suggested to check with Border Patrol at the airport.  I go outside and Tom is gone.  Gone!  I'm freaking out.  He just went around the block.  I wait and wait. Still waiting.  I finally see him, on his way back from the Visitor's Center after being chased away from by the meter maid.

I'm still freaking out.  Off to the airport to Border Patrol.  Friday after 5 and closed!  What to do?  What to do?  Stay til Monday and throw the schedule off?  Roll the dice and take a chance?

We stop at the local campground, a very hippie dippie stop.  Sold out!  We can stay in the field if we wanted.  No thanks.  We finally decided to go up the road to the Takini Hot Springs & Campground.  It was a short drive up the road.  They looked pretty empty but the man at the office gave us a campsite saying that he had loads of reservations.

The site he gave us was deep in the woods with loads of mosquitoes.  We quickly set up the tent.  Walked the dogs and ate some dinner.  Then went to sleep, still shaken about how the day ended and how we would carry on.  Tomorrow, decisions would have to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment