Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Holiday Lighting

An annual tradition in Provincetown is the lighting of the Pilgrim's Monument.  As my friend, Timmy, says, all the Who's in Whoville gather and celebrate the coming holidays and the community the night before Thanksgiving.  This past year, there were some people in the community that felt a situation at the monument was worth a protest.  (story here)  I am not sure how that protest affected the attendance of the lighting, but I was able to witness, through a video by HRC store manager, Cathy, the second part of the protest.

Many members of the community decided to go to the Lobster Pot Tree lighting instead of the monument.  The Annual Lobster Pot Tree lighting was wonderful.  It has been a number of years since I have lived in Ptown, but I still truly feel that it is my community still.  The amount of year rounders that I know continues to be more than I have locally, at least in facebook land.  I took the following pix last year while visiting for the holidays.

Julian Popko and his family have been making this tree for 8 years.
It is made up of 112 lobster pots and stands 20' high.
The lights will stay lit until February.

Cathy's video can be seen here.  Another video from Jim Bakker, here.  Both are on facebook, so pardon the glitches, if any.  Here's to a great start of the Holiday Season!





No comments:

Post a Comment